I have always had a special connection with animals of all shapes and sizes, people often laugh when they hear I taught my grouchy old Maine Coon cat of 13 years a new trick, or my big Oscar fish, Bob, who will often appear to be shaking his head yes or no when asked random questions and also gives big fish kisses. When I was a teen ager, I trained my amazing white pony to bob for apples, drink Pepsi from the bottle and lay down in his stall allowing me to "cuddle" and nap with him for hours. I even taught our pair of lovebirds to yawn on command, but what I am most proud of in my thirty years of experience with animals is some of the dogs I owned in the past. For instance when I was young I taught my Blue Tick Coon Hound, Ashes, to jump like an equestrian pony over decorated obstacles in stride countless times, or my Dalmatian, Kila, who would do all ten of her notorious tricks for one simple treat. All I had to say was “ready for a treat” and she would sit up, shake both paws, roll over each way and speak while hopping in a circle ending with a bow and a prayer. These talented dogs truly let me into their world by displaying unconditional love, patience and a relentless desiree to learn and please.
Currently, I am the proud mother of a 4 years old Pomeranian named, Foxy who has endless talents such as dancing, praying, sneezing, yawning, begging, waving hi, counting and she says thank you and I love you -just to name a few. In addition, she is a Registered Therapy Dog and loves her job, we volunteer twice a month at the local hospital sharing smiles and encouragement along the way. Foxy has traveled to many places and her favorite past time is going shopping, boating, running on the beach and getting her hair and nails done-yes I said hair and nails-I am serious she loves to go to the groomer and they actually paint her nails.
Most recently Foxy inherited a new little brother named Dudley, a chocolate brown and white Chihuahua mix puppy who is almost 4 months old. He is already potty trained and super smart-learning sit, down, crawl, high five, hip hop dancing and circles in the first two weeks. I can tell he has tons of potential and will hopefully have the temperament to become a wonderful therapy dog too. Foxy and Dudley have become quite the pair sharing in hours of wrestling, tug of war, chase, walks at the park, cuddles and car rides. I am very pleased with the choices we have made to fit the needs of our family and I am happy to be able to share these personal stories with you~
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment